Happy New Year.
By some miracle, our whole family stayed up past midnight. We didn't really get into bed until about 12:45am. I spent part of this time trying to register for the Detroit Free Press marathon. Although registration opened at midnight, I guess the server crashed. Pretty exciting. Even more exciting, I signed Joylynn up for the Half-Marathon. (Not a surprise sign up...we talked about it). It's interesting to be thinking a full 10 months in advance, but also immediately creates a point to look forward to.
These late night (early morning?) shenanigans led me to rolling over, and staring at 7:07am in big alarm clock numbers. I couldn't tell you if I've ever slept in this late, but it is on par with getting a solid 6 hours of sleep.
I wanted to start the new year off right with a nice long run so getting a later start was ok in my book. It would mean having a little more light. I felt good and kept feeling good and ended up clocking 13.2 miles. A cold but beautiful morning. I took a few dead end streets I've never been down. Usually I skip these little nooks, but the new year must have had me looking for new adventure no matter how slight. The hint of dawn led to full sunshine as I finished up the final few miles heading for home. I stopped to chat with Brian M. with a mile to go as he shoveled his driveway. (A big driveway. Pretty sure he did it for recreation rather than out of necessity. It would have been just as easy with a snow blowing machine. There's a metaphor tucked in there somewhere).
I couldn't help but be grateful for a solid start to 2026. I felt grounded. Confident and happy. Content with curiosity about the secrets that may be tucked away in the year ahead. Fully prepared to take advantage of each day as it comes.
I think the word I'm hunting for is optimistic.
2026 is gong to be a great year.
.












