There is a local trail that traces through a little forest and around a small lake. I've run through it once before, but had a hankering to head back there this morning. It mixed up the miles. The full moon helped make the place glow, even with some cloud cover. It is a completely different sensation running down a trail compared with running on the road. The trail provides something of a thrill, but also the need for a touch more attentiveness to the footing. The rhythm that the road gives disappears when trying to mind the frosty roots and downed limbs of trees.
I can see myself as being more of a "trail runner" if the trails were right outside my door. The advantage of road running where I live is there are plenty of roads. The trails are here too, but require some forethought to access and in most cases a car to get to. (I guess I could ride my bike or take a car, but those are added complications). The trail came with a greater sense of exploration. Of course, this sensation may only have been because I so rarely trek through this location.
One way or another, I finished 51 consecutive runs today. My second longest run streak on record. (My longest streak is 57). With no official training plans on the horizon, I can foresee keeping this going for another 50 or 60 more days to get through the winter months. Every day I run is one day closer to Spring.


