I'm cooking along and start to feel a touch of uneasiness in my calf, but not enough to stop with the goal of a couple more miles. I could have turned for home at the Olson Path T, but I didn't. I turned on to McCarty and suddenly everything was not right. A sudden sharp debilitating pain in my right calf literally stopped me in my tracks. I hobbled a few more steps and felt a POP.
Let me tell you, as much as you could read about a POP associated with calf injury on internet searches nothing compares to the disturbing sense of disoritation that comes with the pain. No degree of denial would solve this deliama unfolding a mile from home. Hobbling along, I quickly decided today warranted the call home. Something I have never done in all the miles I put on the road.
The first call didn't get through. I hatred waking up my wife, but it was about 610 at this point because I got a late start. The third call made it through as I walked along the road. If you could call it walking. When she did pick up, I gave my location and she generously pulled up and gave me a ride home.
It's amazing to go from the top to the bottom so quickly. While still elated from the race on Saturday it is a blow to my mental state to come down so hard. That said through the day, my perspective shifted to a more optimistic outlook. Its not the first time dealing with down time. I'm not training for a specific race. The weather is still going to be spotty the next few weeks anyway. I'm not the first athlete to get an injury.
I know I can't rush healing. My leg won't get better if I try too much too soon. I'm not going to loose fitness, and even if I do, I know I can get it back.
One day at a time.
Onward.