The past few days my legs just didn't feel it. Neither did the rest of me. I feel like I am able to tune into my body's status more since I've been running daily. It is easier to notice when something just isn't business as usual. Perhaps a slight cold or grogginess from stress. Overexertion of one kind or another. I might not be abe to put my finger on it, but the sense that there is change is notable. Having the furnace out may have contributed to the whole situation. Who knows. Anyway. I didn't need to push the pace or the mileage so I just did a few little cruises the past two days - 3 miles on Tuesday and 5 miles today. There's not a chance I'll hit 50 miles this week, but that's ok too. It is an impressive number to reach for each week, but I'd rather be healthy than get grounded because I did something unreasonable. I'm not about to lose the edge on my consistency.
In other news I signed up for the Winterlaufe race. It is an 8k in Frankenmuth. My goal is to finish in the top 3 in my age group, but, again, I'm not going to be overly disappointed if that doesn't happen. It will be intersting to pace through that distance. I know what running a fast 5k feels like, and I know what pacing a 10k feels like, but an 8k? I guess I need to ride the line between the two and stay in control at the begining of the race so I have a little in the tank to burn at the end. I think the forecast calls for about 15 degrees so I suspect this is the kind of race that brings out the crazy runner types and not just the casual crowd. Time will tell.