Power Work

Around 9:30pm the power company pulled into the neighborhood to rectify some problems going on with our electricity. I expected they might throw some switches or maybe push some buttons, but it turned into a much bigger fiasco than I could have guessed. I went to bed after a long day at work with the expectation of getting some sleep before an early morning for a community breakfast. That is not what happened. 

About 2am I woke with a real start to what sounded like the biggest raccoon you could imagine climbing up the wall outside our bedroom. It turned out the power company work crew was banging and hacking and beating on something right near the corner of our house. Surely, it wouldn't last long. But I was wrong. Finally, I just got up out of bed put on my shoes and decided to take a short walk to shake the sleeplessness. When I stepped outside, the floodlights of the big utility truck made it bright as day in my poor neighbor's yard, and three guys stood around looking at the ground. I didn't really want to disturb their work, but since they were acting like it was perfectly normal just to be awake this time of day I decided to the same.
"I have to ask," I said" What are you guys doing?"
"Well it looks like the neutral is broken. Is this your house here? Did you call this in?"
"Yes, it's my house. my wife called"
"We'll probably need to go back to the shop to get a grey box we're going to connect to your house"
"Alright, good luck. Thanks"

I carried on and they carried on. I walked a block, turned around, and went back into bed. 

Sure enough, they put that box thing next to our house, but not before they continued whacking, sawing, and hammering away at the meter box outside. Why now? Why all of a sudden? This problem of ours has been going on for a few years, but 2am is the time to fix it?

I closed my eyes, stayed real still, put on my white noise, and tried to trick my body into thinking it just ran 6 miles and should go to sleep, but it didn't work. I rested, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get any sleep. 

There is a sense of irony about the whole situation. After regularly waking naturally and running, I am suddenly in the position of waking unnaturally and not even getting to fight of the sleeplessness with a run. Im not sure I would have fallen back asleep if I had gone for a run, but I feel like I would have had at least a fighting chance. oh well. 

On a more pleasant note, my leg does feel much better. I can walk on it better today than yesterday and yesterday I could walk on it better than the first day of injury. It certainly isn't anything I would call close to normal, but I'm gaining some encouragement from the progress. It makes me think perhaps strength training would be a good addition to the running training. I hear that can help with injury prevention. I don't know. I'm moving one day at a time.