Well, I started a marathon training block this week. I wanted to wait until after the Italy trip and an overnight sailing adventure before I started to dig in. I know it is a loooong build, but I find the structure of the plan comforting and the predictability of having the next day on the list to check off reassuring. There are a couple of wrinkles in the training timeline, but my life is surprisingly predictable over the next few months. This predictability is something of a gift to the training block. I don't have to squeeze things in quite the way that many others might. I can develop a rhythm much like running itself.
Even as I write it, though, I feel some twinge of hesitation and wavering because I've been working on it so intently for so long. At least 3 years feels like a long time for me. Last year, although the time didn't show it, the training felt on point to make it happen, so I don't feel as far off as it might look. And now, I have another year under my feet.
My goal for this build for the Detroit Freep Press Marathon is the same as it was last year when I built for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon: 3:10 ... qualify for Chicago.... AND Boston
Even as I write it, though, I feel some twinge of hesitation and wavering because I've been working on it so intently for so long. At least 3 years feels like a long time for me. Last year, although the time didn't show it, the training felt on point to make it happen, so I don't feel as far off as it might look. And now, I have another year under my feet.
And I know Detroit. Having run the course twice now, I can visualize it more vividly than before. I think that comfort level is worth something... the start of the race, over the bridge, through Windsor, under the river, through the city, Dequinder Cut, those neighborhoods, back through that long stretch at miles 20-24, into the city, turn... turn finish.
I am feeling less a sense of excitement about the training and subsequent race and more a sense of determination to run well and finish strong.
I'm also thoughtful about how I can maintain the full-on sense of determination and cultivate a spirit of fun in my running. How can I cultivate a sense of joy while working really hard? I guess I'll figure that out over the next several weeks.
